Tuesday, September 20, 2011

America's Next Top Model Premiere

With my work schedule, I hardly ever get to watch a television show right when it first airs. That's why God made DVR. I constantly have the television at my parents' house filled with recorded episodes of everything under the sun.

I don't even have time to keep up with premieres, so I have the settings already done from last season. Imagine my surprise when I was at the house washing clothes only to see the premiere for the new cycle of ANTM. I had no idea it was happening so soon. I didn't know it was going to be an All-Star cycle either. I was so excited.

In case you missed it, I'm here to tell you how lovely the episode was! I'm aware that this is a week late, I'm sorry. All I can say is that perhaps next week's episode won't be as late, ha ha.

This is Cycle #17. These girls are all working models who were fan favorites from previous cycles. They were popular (for whatever reason) personalities and Tyra is looking to make one of them a star and a celebrity, not just a model. The prizes, which I'll go into later, are the best ever prizes.

The 14 girls arrived to their new top model mansion in this order:
Name: Angelea Preston
Cycle: 14
Remembered for: Girl From The Hood









Name: Laura Kirkpatrick
Cycle: 13 (the petite cycle)
Remembered for: Country Cutie









Bianca Golden - Domenico Vacca - Runway - Fall 09 MBFWName: Bianca Golden
Cycle: 9
Remembered for: Loud and sassy










Name: Lisa D'Amato
Cycle: 5
Remembered for: Wild Child; peeing in her diaper










Name: Bre Scullark
Cycle: 5
Remembered for: Ghetto Fabulous










Name: Brittany Brower
Cycle: 4
Remembered for: Party Girl










Name: Dominique Reighard
Cycle: 10
Remembered for: Masculine/Feminine










Name: Sheena Sakai
Cycle: 11
Remembered for: Harlem But Not Hoochie










Name: Isi King
Cycle: 11
Remembered for: Confidence










Name: Kayla Ferrel
Cycle: 15
Remembered for: Proud Lesbian










Name: Allison Harvard
Cycle: 12
Remembered for: Quirky Doll










Name: Camille McDonald
Cycle: 2
Remembered for: Diva










Name: Shannon Stewart
Cycle: 1
Remembered for: Angelic; Not posing nude










Name: Alexandria Everett
Cycle: 16
Remembered for: Tough California Girl










Some of these girls already knew each other from working as models and from being on the show. There are already some interesting personality clashes. Bre and Bianca lived together in Chicago, but they have a love/hate thing going on. And the girl Lisa seems to have grossed a lot of people out when she peed in the diaper waaay back when.

They started off with the basic photo shoot. The photographer was Celeste Canino. They had to do amplified versions of the personality they had on their cycle which made them memorable. The shoot went well and only a couple of the girls got negative critiques from the photographer or Mr. Jay. Angelic girl, ?, is really confused. I just don't get the idea of wearing tiny ass bikini bottoms, but not wearing lacy boy short underwear. Whatever.

The judging was live with guest judge Nicki Minaj. That girl is a trip. And I can only imagine what Andre Leon Talley was thinking about what she was wearing. And if you got a chance to actually watch the episode, did you like Nigel's hair? What was up with that mess?

The live judging was great for some girls to get to feel the love for the audience, but it was way harsh for poor Alexandria. I really loved her last cycle, but I felt like I was the only one sometimes.

The prizes are: a spread in Italian Vogue, a cover of Beauty in Vogue, a spread in Beauty in Vogue, a special blog on Italian Vogue's website, a celebrity guest correspondent gig for Extra, a national campaign with Express, and a $100,000 contract with Cover Girl cosmetics. Goodness that's a lot o' prizes

After the live judging, they debated in private. The top photos were: 1) Isis; 2) Allison; 3) Camille; 4) Lisa; 5) Angelique; 6) Laura; 7) Bre; 8) Bianca; 9) Shannon; 10) Dominique; 11) Sheena; 12) Kayla

The bottom two were: Brittany and Alexandria. Brittany's problem was that her photo wasn't super strong. Plus, the crowd didn't have anything negative or positive to say about her. Alexandria was booed by the crowd and it made the judges wonder if they made a mistake bringing her back.

They said because of her polarity, having people love her and hate her was okay. She just had to get more love than hate. Brittany had indifference, the true opposite of love.

I was glad to see her go because I never watched her cycle, so I wasn't invested in her. Plus, they were right, she wasn't memorable.

No comments: