Thursday, September 8, 2011

The World As A Robert Southey Story

Robert Southey was an English poet. One of the things he's famous for (or rather, should be famous for) is writing "The Story of the Three Bears", as in Goldilocks and the Three Bears. You know the story, we all know the story. That is, unless you had no childhood that involved the English language. In which case, read this.

This story applies to today's post because sometimes things are too hard. Sometimes they can appear too soft. But for me, things are just right.

This life's too hard
Image of some of this year's natural disasters via jafrianes.com
This year has sucked in terms of natural disasters. Again, if you don't know what I'm referencing, you've really got to get from underneath that rock. From sink holes to power plant meltdowns to earthquakes to famine to drought to hurricanes to tornadoes to flooding to snowstorms to hailstorms, we've had it all. And they've been big enough and bad enough to make national and international news. The people who have (or have not) survived through these events are not having a good year. Their year sucks and probably seems like it can't get much worse.

Those of us who aren't suffering could and should do something to help out. Sending money to charities helping these people who are about to get all their FEMA money wiped out by douchebag Eric Cantor (if he can manage it) would be a great first step. Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now.

This life's too soft

Image via disney.wikia.com
It really wasn't that easy to think of who's life has been ridiculously easy this year. It seems like everyone is suffering. But then I remembered those most responsible for the suffering: fund managers. That includes hedge fund managers, CEOs, and bank executives. These folks are having an amazing year. Yes, they are laying off people because of lowering profits. But those profits aren't actually so low that they'll have to lose their lovely bonuses or sell a couple private jets. They're just lower than the other rich ass shareholders would like.

These people are living high on the hog and life is good. Everyone in power wants to appease their every whim. The rest of us are beholden to them, begging them not to raise our overdraft fees. Must be nice.

This life's just right
With all that's been happening around me good and bad, it's nice to look at my life and realize it's just right. Sure, things get hectic. There are days when I don't see Easy for a couple days in a row or only for ~10 minutes at a time because he's on his way in/out when I'm doing the exact opposite. That sucks, but we make the most of the time we do have together.

And work is awesome. I feel like I'm getting more info poured in than I can possibly retain, but then a night comes along when I have to prove I know it all not just in theory, but in practice, and it all comes together (much to my surprise).

My friends are awesome and my family is awesome. Having more time would be nice, but I can't have everything. As far as I know, no one feels neglected. Except maybe my cat Belle, who is very judgemental and temperamental.
Put On the Kettle :  wedding announcements chicago Newyea New+Yea
She's not camera shy, but she doesn't like being photographed when she first wakes up.
So no personal tornadoes, but I do have over $100,000 of student loans to pay back. Yup, just right.

No comments: