Sunday, September 25, 2011

How's Your Life? Mine's Awesome

I'm feeling pretty awesome today. Have you ever heard of the term D.I.N.K.?

I'd never heard of it before a couple weeks ago. Easy's mother introduced us to the term.

It means Double Income, No Kids. It is pretty nice to live this life where our only responsibility is making sure each other is as happy as possible.

We go to work-- and luckily we both love our jobs-- then we come home and we pretend to be nesting.

We're not actually nesting. Our house is still incredibly unsettled. It's the product of a busy schedule and an odd set of priorities. But Easy and I are incredibly happy almost all the time. It feels like a dream, but still also very realistic.

The last couple days have not felt like a typical weekend. We actually had time to just live life. I love that man because I told him all of five days ago that I wanted to do something with our time that didn't include a restaurant, my parents' house, his parents' house, or live jazz music.

And he made it happen in just a couple days. Friday, I hung out with my girl, Gloria, who I wrote about in one of my old blogs. We went shopping. Women be shopping! I got two pairs of shoes for me, two pairs for Easy, a great new dress, a new scarf, and the piece de resistance was this:
Image via Express Online
 I saw a belted cape coat somewhere online and I fell in love. I dragged poor Gloria into every store on Michigan Avenue looking for one! I returned the favor by being dragged into every store in Water Tower Place after that to find her the perfect boots. It was a very successful day.

Then, we went to go see The Lion King in 3D. I love Disney (with their parent-killing, stereotype reinforcing asses), and so I was super excited to have the chance to go see that movie. 

Some people were in that theater reacting to the movie like they'd never seen it. And this was not 10 years old and under kids, this was mostly grown-ups falling out over the floor laughing when the hyena voiced by Whoopi Goldberg says, "Make mine a cub sandwich!" Easy, Gloria, and I were in there shaking our heads.

I understand that everyone else isn't as big a Disney fan as me and they aren't at home watching the Special Edition DVD once a a month, but come up on people. It hasn't been that long, has it?

Saturday, we hung out at home for most of the day. There was listening to music and dancing. We break into dance a lot. And I cooked dinner for Easy to eat right then and for me to take to work. Pork chops, collard greens, rice, and corn bread. Delish!

Just like that picture at the top, this weekend was a great blend of a good number of all the components of my personal life I like to juggle. I look forward to the next time I'll be able to do this, which is... probably at least 2 months away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the Lion King for the first time when I was 12. I'm 29 now...yeah, that's been a while.

CeCe said...

Oh wow, so you seriously hadn't seen it in 17 years? I guess that's about right since I'm a couple weeks from my 27th birthday and I saw it when I was 10.
I now want you to go see it so you can tell me if you're laughing at the jokes as if you've never heard them before.
Don't get me wrong, every Disney movie has a completely different type of humor when you're an adult. It's funny in a different way, but not brand new funny.