Sunday, September 18, 2011

Inadvertent And Random Funnies

You ever have those moments where the most random things happen? All you can really do is laugh about it and hope it's funny in the re-telling because you've simply got to tell someone what craziness just went down.

Luckily, I have a blog, so I can subject the 3.5 people who read this thing to hearing my ridiculously random stories.

Story #1: Giving Out Hair Advice At A Busy Intersection
If you live in Chicago and drive around a lot, chances are you've gone past 35th & King Drive. That's pretty busy and large intersection. King Drive is a boulevard at 35th Street which means there's actually three separate streets separated by grassy medians that make it a very long intersection.

Image via Google Maps
So I'm sitting at this intersection on the western 3rd of 35th street heading west. I'm waiting for the light to turn green. I see this guy in the next car trying to get my attention. I make a point to be nice to strangers and not assume a guy trying to get my attention is full of shit, so I turned down my radio to see what he wanted.

He complimented my hair and then asked where I get it done. I told him where and he asked if my hairstylist takes walk-ins. I told him she did and he asked for her number. At this point the light turned green. So I'm yelling her cell number out of my car into his while we're both slow rolling into a green intersection. He got the number and thanked me and we both drove off to continue our lives.

I'm quite sure we broke several traffic rules about cell phone use while driving. Whatever, I love my hairstylist, and if she gets more business (plus no cops saw us), I'm happy it happened. I'll definitely be checking with her during my next appointment to see if he called her about getting his hair done.

Story #2: Trying To Reach A Florist Who Doesn't Return Phone Calls Right Away

I will be mostly talking about the whole wedding planning thing on my other blog which I maintain purely for Weddingbee. But I will say here that our first florist appointment to check out potential florists was originally scheduled for a day that didn't work for my mother or Easy's mother.

I called the florist a couple times to try and push the appointment back one day. But they never called back. Finally it was the day of the original appointment. I had just gotten home from work and really needed to get sleep since I had to be back at work the next day.  I still hadn't heard from the florist and I didn't want them to think I'd stood them up for an appointment. Not when they do work like this:
The FTD® Champagne Dreams™ Bouquet
Image via South Loop Floral and Events Gallery
I called them again and left yet another voice mail. I basically decided that I was going to have to postpone my much-needed sleep in order to drive up to the florist to make sure they were okay with changing the appointment. On my way to the florist is when #1 above happened. I finally get about 9 blocks from the florist only to have my phone ring. It wasn't my hairstylist complaining that I gave her number to a crazy man on the street. It was the florist saying moving the appointment to the next day was no problem.

Sigh, so I trekked back home and finally went to bed a couple hours later than intended. I was not happy to miss out on that sleep. I hate when being lazy would've paid off better than being proactive. But it happens.

Story #3: Directing Attention To An Ex To Take It Off Myself

This last story is about Easy's ex. I mentioned in my last post that something ridiculous happened when I met her. She came out to Easy's last gig that was in St. Louis at this club called Robbie's House of Jazz.
Image via Robbie's House of Jazz
This was my first time meeting her. Easy introduced us and I shook her hand. Then she pulled me in for a hug. I think she was determined that we would be friendly and she would give me no reason not to like her. But she miscalculated because I AM NOT A HUGGER!!

Easy said he was worried when she hugged me, but then it was over so we all moved on. She seems nice enough, but I definitely wasn't trying to get to know her and hang out. She's an ex and I'm basically just counting down the time until she's no longer a part of our lives.

This crazy thing that happened actually came up when Easy introduced one of his original compositions. It's a song called The Wrath of Knee-coal. It's a lovely song and one of my favorite's he's written. His friend we just went on the double date with actually played with him on the recorded track and it sounds amazing! This song was written about his ex who was at the show.

Easy told her he had written the song and what the title was. But he didn't exactly rehearse what he was going to say to introduce the songs, so the intro came out like this: "I wrote this song. It was inspired by a friend of mine. When she gets angry, it really isn't pleasant. It's not fun. That inspired this song. I hope you like it." Or something like that.

There was a woman at the next table who always goes to Easy's shows in St. Louis with her husband. We haven't seen her since before we were engaged, so she didn't know the background of the songs. She leans over to my table where I'm sitting with one of my best friends, Lion, who's the best man at our wedding. She asks, "is he talking about you?" with a laugh.

I turned to her and threw a thumb over my shoulder in Easy's ex's direction. "Nah! He's talking about her!" The woman turned to look at her like, "Oh..." And didn't ask any follow-up questions. I told Lion what happened and I admit I had amused myself for a bit. Easy found the story pretty funny. I didn't turn to see her reaction, but I know she heard what happened. That should make sure she doesn't try to hug me again.

I'm not going to be friends with her. I feel like it's fine if she and Easy are friendly, but she and I are not about to be friends. Who wants to be friends with their spouse's ex? Certainly not me.
Having your ex officiate your wedding? That's a big hell no!

And a very random late addition: I listen to Pandora while at work. The song Candy by Cameo came on. I love that song as it shows up in several places that I have fond thoughts of, such as the second-to-last scene in the movie The Best Man. I googled it to see what year it came out. It came out in 1987. And it's about cocaine. Cocaine! WTF? I feel like I did when I first learned what the song Mary Jane was about. And the song Brown Sugar. Stupid drug-addled amazing artists.

No comments: